1. To raise awareness on a national scale of the need for skin/tissue donors
2. To create the first skin-focused tissue donor registry in South Africa
3. To create a national network of health professionals within hospitals to raise awareness and identify possible skin/tissue donors
4. To create a national skin/tissue drive annually to raise awareness
5. To form associations with others in this arena nationally
The impact of having skin available for burn patients will combat unnecessary suffering, allow time for the patients own body to stabilize (2-3 weeks) and be a factor towards improving mortality rates.
Whilst our main thrust will be the drive for skin, donors will be asked if they would like to donate other tissue on the list, mainly bone, cornea and heart valves, as there is a critical shortage of all tissue.